Staff will assist in the appropriate way to help with users of wheelchairs, partially or non-sighted patients, or those with other special needs as requested
Accessible Information Standard
Conforming to the Accessible Information Standard, part of the Health and Social Care Act 2012 is a requirement. It has been put in place to ensure that people who have a disability, impairment or sensory loss are able to access and understand any information or communication support that they need.
The practice will make sure that patients and service users and their carers and parents, can access and understand the information they are given. This includes making sure that patients receive information in the format most appropriate to their needs, for example in large print, easy read or via email.
The practice will also make sure that people receive necessary support with communication, for example BSL, interpreter, deaf/blind manual interpreter or an advocate. We will ensure that signage is clear and offer private room facilities for patients who may have communication, reading or writing difficulties. We will promote the induction loop system, signs for which are clearly displayed in reception.
The Practice Will:
- Provide a patient registration form that includes a section for patients to indicate if they have information or communication needs.
- An alert about these needs will be placed on the patient’s medical records, to ensure that these needs are met.
- The practice will share information about patient’s communication needs with other providers of NHS and adult social care, when they have consent to do so.
- Provide a clearly marked and wider disabled parking bay(s).
- Allow guide or other assistance dogs into the premises.
- Offer private room facilities for patients who may have communication, reading, or writing difficulties.
Training and Skills
The practice will support staff with training for disability awareness and patient handling.
The practice will audit its facilities on significant changes to the premises.